God’s Law, is it relevant today?
Did the Apostle Paul teach that God’s Law was nailed to the cross and done away with?
A lady would always comment with her scripture references in the comments section of a particular website on posts that had anything to do with advocating for adherence to God’s Law.
She would title her comment post, “My Life Under Grace”.
And in her mind and eyes, God’s Law is now completely irrelevant, and therefore, feels she is completely free from any obligation to keep it. And she uses the Apostle Paul’s writings as her evidence.
This is just another “know it all” person being influenced by the spirit of lawlessness who has stumbled colossally, and spectacularly in Paul’s writings just as prophesied would happen by Peter:
2 Pet. 3:16 – Paul talks about these same things in all his letters, but part of what he says is hard to understand. Some ignorant and unsteady people even destroy themselves by twisting what he said. They do the same thing with other Scriptures too.
So, I decided to respond to her and directly contradict her erroneous belief that Paul is teaching that God’s Law is irrelevant, by using… you guessed it, none other than Paul’s own writings!
I titled my set of references, “Paul, on the Relevance of God’s Law”.
The following is what she posted:
My Life Under Grace
– I’m dead to the law. (Rom. 7:4, 6; Gal. 2:19)
– I’m not under the law. (Rom. 6:14; Gal. 5:18)
– I’m not supervised by the law. (Gal. 3:25)
– The law’s requirements have been fully met in me. (Rom. 8:3-4)
– Christ nailed the law to the cross. (Col. 2:14-17)
– Christ is the end of the law for me. (Rom. 10:4)
– God’s grace is enough to motivate me. (2 Cor. 12:9; Titus 2:11-12)
Which was immediately followed by what I responded with:
Paul on the Relevance of God’s Law
● 1Cor 7:19 – The important thing is to keep God’s commandments.
● Rom 2:13 – …for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;
● Rom_3:31 – Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
● Rom 6:15 – What then? Shall we sin (break the law) because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!
● Rom 7:1 – Or are you ignorant, brothers; for I speak to those who know the Law; that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?
● Rom 7:12 – Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
● Rom 7:22 – For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
● Rom 7:25 – So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God.
● Rom 8:7 – Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
● Rom 8:8 – So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
She never responded to my comment.
But it just goes to show that:
- Most people aren’t even checking their contradictions which would indicate there are fatal flaws and errors in their doctrine.
- Most people purposely ignore these contradictions in order to justify their beliefs even if it’s at the expense of the truth.
- Most people are completely blinded and deceived.
Of course, the very first verse I responded with (1 Cor. 7:19) would have sufficed. In this verse, Paul is saying that the important thing for us in this New Covenant Era is TO KEEP God’s Commandments (Law).
Folks, it isn’t a mirage! It’s right there in your bible! We are obligated to keep God’s Law.